Located at 17 North Cumberland Street, the hotel itself has an interesting history. Almost a century ago, the idea for a Canadian National Railway Hotel came up during a poker game between several big players traveling in a private rail car to Winnipeg. John James Carrick (mayor of Port Arthur) and Sir William Mackenzie (president of the CPR) and Sir Donald Mann, wielded the cards around the table and bet on a winner when they made a deal resulting in the erection of the Prince Arthur Hotel in 1910.
The Prince Arthur Hotel officially opened March 14, 1911, $850,000 later. It was described as one of the best furnished and appointed hotels on the continent.
Today, the Prince Arthur can be described as the only hotel in Thunder Bay that can offer a spectacular view of the Sleeping Giant.
As tales of old are spun, one can enjoy the hotelís recent updates. Itís newer interior meets the needs of its corporate and traveling clientele without compromising its century-old charm. We are committed in making every effort to ensure our guestís stay is comfortable and relaxing.